Welcome to Keyboard magazine's web resource page for the June 2010 issue. This page assumes that you have that magazine in your hands, and got here by typing in the URL given in all those More Online "dashboards" throughout the various articles. Everything below will also be embedded in the actual stories when they go live on the web at the beginning of June, but because you subscribe to the print and/or digital editions--or because you found the issue on a newsstand good and early--you get the June links, videos, and audio examples now. It's good to be you!
Simply scroll down to the section of the mag for which you're looking for the More Online extras and click away. Each month, the Keyboard editors and contributors will enrich your reading experience with more artist videos, more tech tutorials, more downloadable synth patches--pretty much the best of everything we can find about that month's subjects. So look for those More Online dashboards in each issue to take advantage of everything our own website and others have to offer keyboard players, composers, sound designers, and producers.
Get news and post comments at www.facebook.com/KeyboardMagazine.
Follow us @keyboardmag on Twitter.
Discuss, debate, and share with fellow keyboardists at The Keyboard Corner forum.
PJ MORTON on Six Studio Secrets for R&B Keyboard Sounds
- Exclusive Video Tour of PJ's Studio - Coming Soon!
- Visit PJ Morton Online
THE LOW ANTHEM Pumps Up Their Sound with Antique Reed Organs
- Audio Samples: Estey Pump Organ 1 Estey Pump Organ 2 Estey Pump Organ 3 Harmonium Melodian
DAVID FOWLER on Reggae Bubble B-3 Organ Playing
- Fowler teaches you the reggae bubble organ technique.
- See where Fowler's band, Echo Movement, is playing next.
DANIEL MINTSERIS on Creative Wurly Comping
- Audio examples - refer to sheet music on pp. 20-21 of June 2010 issue.
Ex. 1 Ex. 2 Ex. 3 Ex. 4 Ex. 5
- More on Mintseris' experimental album
- Archive: Our October 2007 Rhodes-Wurly-Clav roundup
- Diagrams: Inner workings of Rhodes, Wurly, and Clav
LARRY GOLDINGS Takes Your B-3 Playing to the Next Level
- Audio examples - refer to sheet music on pp. 22-24 of June 2010 issue.
Ex 1a: Go to church. Ex. 1b: Go to church cont'd. Ex. 2: Chord symbols are just suggestions. Ex. 3: Less is more. Ex. 4: Comp Freddie Green style. Ex. 5: Add second and third voices to your melody. Ex. 6: Think shapes.
- Carson-era Tonight Show footage of Goldings with Maceo Parker
- Goldings and Steve Gadd play "Chega de Saudade."
5 WAYS TO PLAY LIKE McCOY TYNER
- Audio examples - refer to sheet music on pp. 26-28 of June 2010 issue.
Ex. 1: Fifths in the Left Hand Ex. 2: Perfect Fourths in the Left Hand Ex. 3: Augmented and Perfect Fourths in the Left Hand Ex. 4: Chromatic Playing and Two-Handed Comping Measure 4a Measures 4b and 4c Ex. 5: Using the Pentatonic Scale
- Visit McCoy Tyner and find out where he's playing live.
- Hear McCoy use these techniques on a killer rendition of "Giant Steps."
SUZANNE CIANI on New Age Synth
- Expanded article page with three additional examples and full audio.
- Audio and video of Suzanne on her Buchla modular synth.
- Vintage Letterman and 3-2-1 Contact videos with Suzanne.
- Exclusive Keyboard video interview with Alicia Keys PART 1 PART 2
- Alicia discusses her Alicia's Keys virtual piano plug-in with Native Instruments
- Alicia's keyboardist and musical director Onree Gill
STEAL THIS SOUND: Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love"
- Extended notes, audio examples, and downloadable "Addicted" patch for NI massive on the author's mirror site.
- Real-World Ambiences audio examples Step 1: Raw jungle noises. Step 2: Jungle noises + kick loop. Step 3: One-bar selection of Step 2, looped. Step 4: Tempo-synced LFO filter added to Step 3. Step 5: All of the above, gated rhythmically.
ROLAND V-COMBO VR-700
- Video: Shredding performance demo from Jordan Rudess.
- Video: Editor Stephen Fortner tries the V-Combo for the first time.
- Audio examples Vince N Andy: An arpeggiated analog sequence inspired by Erasure. MINIAK Lead Noodling 0610 - Prog-style noodling on the MiniAK's analog sounds MiniAK Multi Example 0610 - One example of an eight-part multimbral patch. MiniAK Vocoder Example 0610 - The MiniAK's vocoder. Domo arigato, Mr. Milano.
- Download free demos of Bizune's software editors for the MiniAK.
LIVID INSTRUMENTS OHM 64
- Wiki with everything you need to know about Livid controllers.
- Download the Ohm64 template for Propellerhead Reason.
- Video tutorials from LividTV.
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS ALICIA'S KEYS
- Alicia talks about Alicia's Keys on video.
- Audio example by author Jim Aikin. (Author's note: the piano is Alicia's
Keys, the bass is Spectrasonics Trilian, the drums are a loop from
Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, and the pad is u-he Zebra 2.5.)
MIXOSAURUS DAW DRUMS KIT A
- Video tutorials on Mixosaurus' articulations
- Tons of audio examples!
- Note: both links go to Mixosaurus' homepage. From there, click "Watch" or "Listen," respectively.
MUSICLAB REALGUITAR 2L