Welcome to Keyboard Magazine's web resource page for the December 2010 issue.
Get news and post comments at www.facebook.com/KeyboardMagazine.
Follow us @keyboardmag on Twitter.
Discuss, debate, and share with fellow keyboardists at The Keyboard Corner forum.
- Extended Interview With Tracy
- Video: Tracy throws down with Jerome Flood II
- Video: Tracy live with Musiq Soulchild
- Encore-Coda video, enrollment info, and program.
- Web pages of Encore-Coda's illustrious alumni - same as above - click "Alumni Info" when site loads.
5 Ways to Play Like KEITH EMERSON
- Audio examples.
Example 1 - Solo Lines Example 2 - Chording Example 3 - Solo Pieces Example 4 - Outside Influences Example 5 - Left Hand Technique
- Tons of videos on Keith's official YouTube page.
- Great performance of “Karn Evil 9” from 1974.
5 Ways to Play Like RICK WAKEMAN
- Audio examples.
Solo Lines Examples 1a and 1b Example 2 - Chording Example 3 - Solo Pieces Example 4 - Outside Influences Example 5 - Left Hand Technique
- Classic "Roundabout" performance from 1973.
- Excerpts from Rick's DVD The Six Wives of Henry VIII.
KEITH EMERSON Interviewed by You
- Classic performance of "Fanfare for the Common Man."
- Submit your questions for Rick Wakeman, to be published in the January 2011 issue.
- Interview extras COMING SOON.
- STEAL THIS SOUND: ELP's "Karn Evil 9" karn9_mix.mp3 - Recreating the sample-and-hold patch, organ (with Logic's EVB3), and bass synth. What follows are the steps involved in getting to this point. karn9_one_osc.mp3 - This patch is one oscillator through a lowpass filter, and should give a good idea of the nominal cutoff and resonance settings. I say "nominal" because the cutoff frequency will be modulated by an LFO set to sample and hold; this is the key to this patch. But this audio clip gives a good idea where to start prior to modulating the cutoff. karn9_two_osc.mp3 - Same patch as above, but I added a second sawtooth oscillator set to the same octave with a fair amount of detuning for chorusing effect. karn9_three_osc.mp3 - Just like the two-oscillator version, but now with a third oscillator detuned the other way for more chorusing. You could really go nuts adding oscillators if you like, since Arturia Moog Modular has so many, but I doubt it would really improve the end result of this patch. karn9_samphold.mp3 - Here I've used the VC LFO (that's "voltage-controlled low-frequency oscillator") to add the sample-and-hold modulation to the filter's cutoff frequency Karn9_samphold_verb.mp3 - Now we add a reverb on a bus with Logic's Space Designer. I used the "2.2s_Old Spring preset" in the "29 Vintage Reverbs" folder. In the "karn9_mix.mp3" file, I panned the main synth sound to the left in Logic and the reverb to the right, just like on the record. CLICK HERE to download this patch for Arturia Moog Modular V. It will only work if you have this plug-in, and should be fine on Mac or PC. To import it, click the icon of a folder with an arrow pointing toward it (directly to the right of the up/down arrows and patch select text boxes).
- STEAL THIS SOUND: Rick Wakeman's "Catherine Parr"
kparr_one_osc_sweep.mp3 - Oscillator 1 only, set to a sawtooth wave with pitch at 16'. Filter cutoff frequency is around -2 (i.e. about 10 o' clock), and emphasis (a.k.a. resonance) is almost all way up. Contour (a.k.a. envelope amount) is halfway up. As you can hear, the filter envelope is very long, so dial this in carefully. kparr_two_osc_sweep.mp3 - Same as above, but with oscillator 2 added; also a sawtooth wave, detuned slightly with pitch an octave up at 8'. kparr_three_osc_sweep.mp3 - Just like the two-oscillator version, but the a third oscillator set just like oscillator 2, but detuned up instead of down. Be careful not to detune the oscillators too much or it will just sound out of tune. kparr_three_osc_sweep_verb.mp3 - Here I've added the same vintage-style everb as in the "Karn Evil 9" patch: Logic's Space Designer set to the "2.2s_Old Spring" preset in the "29 Vintage Reverbs" folder.
- CLICK HERE to download this patch for Arturia Minimoog V. It will only work if you have this plug-in, and should be fine on Mac or PC. To import it, click the IMPORT button directly to the right of the up/down arrows and patch select text boxes.
DANCE MIX: Distortion Tricks, Part 2 - Bit-crushing
- Audio Examples
Example 1: Crunchy Top Loops Example 2: Tuned Aliasing Example 3: Video Game Explosions Example 4: Rises and Falls
PRODUCERS' ROUNDTABLE: Bass Sounds
- How to complement your bass with unique kick drum sounds.
- Video: Producer Josh Gabriel and author Francis Preve scope vintage synths.
ADVANCED KEYS FOR A SONG: Roundup of Affordable MIDI Controllers
- Automap explained in our review of the Novation SL Mk. II.
- Our review of the Axiom's big brother, the M-Audio Axiom Pro.
- Craig Anderton on using Cakewalk ACT. COMING SOON
MOTU ETHNO INSTRUMENT 2
- All Ethno 2 demo videos in one player.
- John Krogh's expanded review explaining microtonal scales - COMING SOON.
WAVES JACK JOSEPH PUIG Artist Signature Collection